I was assured by several Home Secretary's and Home Office ministers that should Oldfield commit another crime with a blade he would be lifed off, so why is his liberty still being given when Crown Court Judges are deeming him to be Dangerous? 


I was told in a letter dated 04 June 2001 (one year to the day my brother died,)  By Lord Bassam on behalf of Charles Clarke the then Home Secretary


"The Crime Sentences Act 1997 introduced provisions requiring that those convicted of a second serious violent or sexual offence should receive an automatic life sentence, and be kept in prison for as long as it is considered that they would pose a serious risk to the public if released on licence.  The offences included in this provision themselves carry a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.  The likely reason why Mr Oldfield was not given an automatic life sentence is that any previous offences that he was convicted of was not a qualifying offence for the purpose of this section."


 So my argument now is - Oldfield has twice since killing my brother been convicted of using a blade and carrying one while on licence, the Judge at Leeds Crown Court deemed him as dangerous, why has he still not received a life sentence?  Does he really have to kill again before that will be classed as a serious enough offence?





February 14th 2000

Ten week old Sarah Louise Harper was found dead at her family home in North Shore.  One man will go on trial in November charged with her murder.


March 14th 2000

Merchant seaman Thomas Brennan 60 died in front of his wife after he was attacked on the corner of Springfield Road and High Street Blackpool.  Three men have been remanded to await trial for murder.


March 29th 2000

Blackpool bodybuilder Jamie McBride died from stab wounds.  His body was found in a field off Anna's Lane, Marton Moss.  Three men have been committed to Crown Court on a murder charge.


June 4th 2000

Wayne Joseph Keenan was found dead with multiple knife wounds at his flat above Rock Factory Chapel Street, Blackpool, A man has been charged with murder.


June 25th 2000

Father of two John Ramsbottom of Winnipeg Place, Bispham, Sustained a stab wound to his stomach and died at Blackpool Victoria Hospital.  A man is charged with murder.


June 29th 2000

Frankie Greer was found dead in his Dale Street flat by his mum.  Two teenagers have been charged with murder.


August 25th 2000

Joseph Neish was found dead in his home on Borowdale Road.  A man was charged with his murder.


October 14th 2000 

Mark Johnson was found stabbed in his flat on Alexandra Road.  A man has been charged with his murder.


October 18th 2000

Megan Magerison found dead in boot of Citreon Saxo left in Buchanan Street.  A man has been arrested and charged with murder.

Leeds pizza slice thug’s eight-year jail term was ‘unlawful’


 A “dangerous” thug who launched an unprovoked attack on his next-door neighbour – threatening him with a pizza cutter – has had his sentence reduced by top judges on appeal.

Mark Oldfield, 47, of Levens Bank, Leeds, was handed an eight-year extended sentence at the city’s crown court in May 2009, after admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

But that has now been reduced to a five-year extended term – three years in custody and two years on licence in the community – at London’s Criminal Appeal Court.

Top judges said the original sentence was “unlawful”.

The court heard Oldfield knocked on the door of his neighbour, Martin Trigg, and said: “Do you think I’m a div?” before subjecting him to a vicious assault in April 2009.

Oldfield entered Mr Trigg’s flat and kicked his knees, knocking him to the ground, before kicking and punching him to the head and body.

He then picked up a pizza cutter and held it to the terrified victim’s neck, repeatedly calling him a “div” as he did so.

The court heard Mr Trigg suffered a number of bruises and had pain in his neck and problems with his jaw locking after the attack.

Oldfield’s lawyers challenged his sentence, saying that the crown court judge was wrong to impose a term beyond the five-year maximum for the offence.

They also argued he should not have been given the extended sentence and said that the three-year custodial period was “excessive”.

Lord Justice Stanley Burnton, sitting with Mr Justice Spencer and Judge Andrew Gilbart QC, said the original sentence was “unlawful” and must be reduced to a five-year extended term.

However, he said it was “not surprising” the crown court judge found Oldfield was “dangerous”, given he had previous convictions for offences including manslaughter.

Published on February 5th 2001

Dropping of murder charge after teen's death sparks questions.

MP Speaks out as kill victims "FAILED"

Blackpool MP Gordon Marsden says the Judicial system is failing the families of victims who have been violently killed.

His comments come after the killer of teenager Frankie Greer was given four years in a young offenders institution.

Mr Marsden has written to the Branch Crown prosecutor asking why a charge of murder in the case of Mr Greer was dropped and a verdict of maslaughter under provocation entered.

And he also expresses his concern that bail was granted for one of the defendants despite him being accused of the brutal stabbing of the Blackpool teenager.

Mr Greer 19 was found dead inhis bed in his flat on Dale Street, by his mother.  He had been stabbed several times and a knife was protruding from his back.


His family and friends stormed out of court shouting "sham" as soldier Clifford Briggs 19 from Denton Manchester was sentencd for manslaughter.  A 16 year old youth from Stalybridge, who admitted wounding Mr Greer was sentenced to a detention order for 12 months admitting intent to do grevious bodily harm.   A third defendant Nicholas Hartigan 19 from Manchester, who admitted intending to pervert the course of justice by burning two bloody coats was given 3 months custody.

Mr Marsden says on other recent cases, he has had doubts that justice had been served.

In the case of blind man Mr Joseph Neish who was killed in sheltered accomodation on Mereside the accused-Paul Lindsay 24, had been granted bail.

Mr Neish 60, had been found with severe bruising in August and died nine days later.

In the case of Wayne Keenan 34 known as Joey, who was found stabbed in a Chapel Street flat in June the accused Mark Oldfield 36, of Leeds was found guilty of manslaughter but cleared of murder at the end of a six day trial.

In a letter to the Branch Crown Prosecutor Mr Marsden said "I think there is an underlying concerns among the public, let alone the victims relatives, when such an agreed verdict of manslaughter is produced as to deprive the jury of the opportunity to make a judgement on a charge of murder."


‘Help me get justice for Joey’

Beverley Keenan, of Ribble Road in Blackpool, who wants a Victims Criminal Case Review Board set upfollowing the death of her brother Joey (pictured).

 A GRIEVING sister is calling for victims and their families to be given more opportunity to fight jail sentences.

Beverley Keenan’s brother Joey was stabbed to death in a Blackpool flat 12 years ago, and now she is calling on people to support her petition for a Victim Criminal Cases Review Board.

She says if distressed families do not believe sentences are tough enough they should be allowed to appeal them - in exactly the same way criminals can argue against the length of their jail term.

Miss Keenan, of Ribble Road, Blackpool, told The Gazette: “It’s 12 years since I lost my brother and I think his killer should have got life.

“He didn’t and it is not good enough, someone needs to put a stop to this.

“The justice system is not doing its job right.

“I’ve got about 50 signatures on my petition in the last few days and I’m trying to get as much support as I can.”

Currently anyone, including victims and their families, can ask the Attorney General to review a sentence passed in the crown court if they feel it is unduly lenient.

But Miss Keenan’s petition is calling for victims to be allowed to appeal directly to the high court, backed by a solicitor.

Mr Keenan’s killer, Mark Oldfield, was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to seven years in prison but was released in 2005.

The dangerous thug was thrown back behind bars again in 2009 after attacking his next-door neighbour with a pizza cutter.

He was given eight years in prison but the sentence was reduced to five at London’s Criminal Appeal Court last year.

A spokesman for the Attorney General’s Office said: “People can ask the attorney general to look at sentences again.

“The attorney general can then refer sentences he considers unduly lenient to the Court of Appeal but there is a strict 28-day time limit from the date of sentence and only sentences passed for certain offences come within the scheme.

“It is then for the Court of Appeal to decide whether the sentence is unduly lenient and if so, whether it should be increased.”



Justice campaign over for stab death victim brother

Beverley Keenan has been forced to give up her fight for justice and (below) Wayne, also Joey Evans.


Beverley Keenan thought she was on the home straight in her bid to face her brother’s killer Mark Oldfield in court for a second time under the new double jeopardy law.

But without the transcripts of the original trial, the 46-year-old has been forced to abandon her fight for her brother Wayne, who was stabbed to death in 2000 in his Chapel Street flat.

Miss Keenan, of Ribble Road, Blackpool, said: “All I want is answers and justice.

“It’s been 13 years of fighting for nothing.

“My brother’s killer was only given seven years in prison when he should have got life.

“He got out in 2005 and has been back to prison since for attacking his neighbour with a pizza cutter, how is that right?

“I have evidence that was never heard in the first trial.

“In my fight for justice I wrote to the House of Lords and in a reply they told me to contact the police and ask them to reopen the case under the new double jeopardy law used in the Stephen Lawrence case.

“I met with the police and a solicitor who told me they could nothing without the original court transcripts.

“I got in touch with the court but they told me the documents had been destroyed as they are only kept for five years, nobody warned me this would happen.

“My campaign is over.”

Mark Oldfield was jailed for seven years after being found guilty of the manslaughter of 34-year-old father-of-three Wayne, also known as Joey Evans.

He was convicted by a jury in December 2000. He was released in 2005. He was put back behind bars again in 2009 after attacking his next-door neighbour.

He was given eight years in prison but the sentence was reduced to five at London’s Criminal Appeal Court in 2011. Court transcripts detailing whole trials can be made available for around £5,000.

Miss Keenan, said: “I was never told there was a time limit in getting hold of the transcripts. When Joey was killed there was no point in spending so much money because under the law Oldfield had answered for his crime.

“I’m on benefits, £5,000 isn’t money I have sat around. I had saved up to get them only to be told they no longer exist.

“It’s heartbreaking to wait so long for a change in the law only to find out I can not doing anything else because the paperwork has gone.”

Miss Keenan said more now needs to be done to give victims of crime the right to appeal sentences.

She said: “For me the justice system is fairer on the criminal.”

A spokesman from the Courts and Tribunals Service, said: “HM Courts and Tribunals Service policy is to retain tape recordings of trials for five years and then destroy them.

“This policy was devised to balance the time during which requests for transcripts might be required with the costs of storage and the interests of only retaining relevant data.”

The service has now moved to digital recordings, which are kept for seven years.

Print | Sitemap
© Beverley Keenan